Lemonade is by far one of the most refreshing drinks. There is nothing like a cold glass of fresh lemonade on a hot summer day. Rather than buying it, lemonade is one of the simplest things to make fresh. I love that you can control the sweetness and in turn the amount of added sugar. Besides the classic lemon, water and sugar variation, there are so many other types of lemonade to make. I’ve provided a few of my favourite more unique ones below. Enjoy!
Peach-Basil Lemonade Slush
- 1 ⅓ cups honey
- 3 cups fresh peaches, chopped
- 1 package (about 20 large leaves) fresh basil
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ cups fresh lemon juice
- 5-8 cups ice cubes
- In a large saucepan, combine the honey, peaches, basil and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Discard basil and stir in the lemon juice.
- Refrigerate until cooled completely.
- In a large blender add the peach mixture and ice and blend until smooth.
- Serve with peach slices and additional basil and enjoy!
Sparkling Kiwi Lemonade
- 8 kiwis, peeled
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- 1 L carbonated water, chilled
- Slice two kiwis into small pieces. Place in an ice cube tray, fill with water and freeze.
- Cut the remaining kiwi into large pieces and place in a food processor. Process until smooth and strain any pulp.
- In a pitcher stir the sugar and lemon juice until the sugar dissolves. Add in the kiwi puree.
- Refrigerate until chilled and then add the carbonated water just before serving with the kiwi ice cubes.
Strawberry Watermelon Lemonade
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 ½ cups boiling water
- ½ lb fresh strawberries (about 2 cups)
- 12 cups watermelon, cubed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Dissolve the sugar in the boiling water.
- In small batches place the strawberries and watermelon in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a large pitcher and add the lemon juice and sugar water.
- Serve over ice and enjoy!
Recipes inspired and adapted from Taste of Home.
Eat well, be well
Emma Minden, Registered Dietitian, Wholesome GO