Avocados are one of my favourite foods. Besides their delicious flavour and texture, they are most notably known for their healthy fat content. The fat in avocados is predominantly monounsaturated fatty acids, which plays an important role in overall heart health. Avocados are also packed with a variety of important vitamins and minerals. Did you know that a serving of avocado contains more potassium than the same size serving of a banana?!
There are so many different ways to enjoy avocados. Besides slicing them and eating them plain or adding them to other dishes like salads, some of the more popular ways to eat avocados include mashing them for avocado toast and of course, our tried and true guacamole. However, there are so many other unique ways to add avocado to your meals. I’ve included 5 interesting ways below. Enjoy!
Baked Avocado Fries
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 firm avocados
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Place egg whites in a bowl and whisk until foamy.
- Slice avocado into 6 wedges.
- Dredge each avocado wedge in flour, dip in the egg white, and then dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet and broil about 5 minutes until the top is brown. Flip over and broil another 2 minutes.
Mango, Avocado and Lime Smoothie
- ¼ cup sliced avocado
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mango
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp mint
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 cups ice
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Spaghetti with Spinach-Avocado Sauce
- 1 box spaghetti
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- ¼ cup cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup pasta liquid.
- In a blender or food processor combine the pasta liquid, spinach, cannellini beans, basil, olive oil, lemon rind, lemon juice, salt, garlic and avocado.
- Combine pasta and sauce mixture.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes and enjoy!
Avocado Lemonade Popsicles
- 1 avocado
- 3 lemons, juiced
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup water
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle molds or in an ice cube tray with popsicle sticks.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours and enjoy!
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- 4 avocados
- ¼ cup chocolate milk
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Place avocados and chocolate milk in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Add cocoa, maple syrup, salt and vanilla and process until mixed.
- Poor into a bowl, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
All recipes inspired and adapted from Cooking Light.
Eat well, be well,
Emma Minden, Registered Dietitian, Wholesome GO