Friday is National Spinach Day! To celebrate, I’ve provided some of my favourite spinach recipes. Adding even a handful of spinach to a dish boosts the fibre content. When you cook with spinach, it reduces drastically; to get a mere cup of cooked spinach you need to put in about 10 cups raw. That’s a lot of green veg! No time to cook this week? Order our delicious Strawberry Spinach Salad with Goat Cheese or the Quinoa Spinach Power Salad. Both salads are nutrient-packed and come with Chef Jason’s homemade dressings!
Spinach Zucchini Frittata
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2 ½ cups raw spinach
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the zucchini and spinach. Cook until soft and wilted.
- In a large bowl mix the eggs, cheese, flour and spices. Add the cooked vegetables and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the eggs are solidified.
- Let cool, cut into squares and enjoy!
Cheese Spinach & Chicken Pasta
- ½ - ¾ box pasta
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cook pasta according to box directions, minus 2 minutes. Drain pasta reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- In a large pot combine the Greek yogurt, cheese, spinach, salt and pepper.
- Heat for about 1-2 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Stir in the pasta and chicken.
- Add the fresh lemon juice and reserved pasta water as needed.
- Garnish with a bit of extra cheese and enjoy!
Spinach Artichoke Zucchini Bites
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup canned artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- ½ cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 zucchinis, cut into ½ inch rounds
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, artichokes, spinach, sour cream and garlic.
- Spread about 1 Tbsp of the mixture on top of each zucchini round.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, until the zucchini is tender and the cheese is melted.
Eat well, be well
Emma Minden, Registered Dietitian, Wholesome GO