Happy Canada Day! Canada Day celebrates the anniversary of the Constitution Act, which merged three territories (Province of Canada, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) into a single federation called the Dominion of Canada in 1867. There is no better way to celebrate than with some festive red and white foods. Below I’ve provided three Canada themed recipes, including a nut-free version of my favourite Canadian dessert – a Nanaimo bar. A reader’s poll in the National Post actually voted Nanaimo bars as Canada’s favourite confection. Enjoy!
At Wholesome Go, in honor of Canada Day, we are offering 20% off our NEW Summer Collection with code OHCANADA. Order Today!
Caprese Salad Skewers
- 20 grape tomatoes
- 20 bocconcini or mini mozzarella balls
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the tomatoes, cheese, basil, salt and pepper in a bowl with olive oil until well coated.
- Skewer one tomato and one piece of cheese on each toothpick.
Tomato and White Bean Pizza
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 piece naan or flatbread
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl combine the beans, olive oil and garlic and reserve ⅓ mixture.
- Mash remaining mixture with a fork and spread on top of the flatbread.
- Top with mozzarella, tomato slices, the remainder of the bean mixture and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes and enjoy!
Nut-Free Nanaimo Bars
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓cup maple syrup
- 5 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed
- 3 Tbsp warm water
- 1 ¼ cups oats
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp custard powder
- 3 Tbsp milk, room temperature
- 8 oz semi-sweet or dark chocolate
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter and add maple syrup and cocoa powder.
- In a small bowl mix the flaxseed and water and let thicken and then stir into butter mixture.
- Stir in oats, hemp seeds and coconut.
- Press firmly into pan and then chill in the fridge while you make the custard layer.
- For the custard, cream together the butter and powdered sugar using an electric mixer or hand whisk. Add the custard powder and milk and beat until smooth.
- Spread evenly over the base layer and return to the fridge for 30 minutes.
- For the chocolate coating, melt the butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in increments of 10-30 seconds.
- Spread evenly over custard layer and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
Eat well, be well
Emma Minden, Registered Dietitian, Wholesome GO