Making croutons is a great way to use up leftover bread. Did you know that the word crouton comes from the French word croûte, meaning crust, as it is typically made from day-old bread. After cutting your bread into cubes, place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and your seasonings of choice (salt, pepper, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, etc.) and bake in a single layer at 375° F for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Besides just salads there are a bunch of unique ways to enjoy croutons. In honour of National Crouton Day, I have provided 3 of my favourite more unique ways to enjoy croutons. Happy crunching!
Don't forget to try our delicious and fresh salads, now available with our perfectly seasoned roasted chicken breast!
Egg and Crouton Hash
- 1 piece/tsp butter
- ½ cup croutons
- 2-3 eggs
- 1-2 Tbsp cheese
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium to low heat.
- Add the croutons and eggs. Cook for a minute and then scramble the eggs in the pan while coating the croutons.
- Add cheese and cook until desired doneness.
Skillet Tomato Casserole with White Beans and Croutons
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ lbs fresh tomatoes (about 6-8 medium), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 can white beans
- 10 oz spinach, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- In an oven-safe skillet add the breadcrumbs, tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, until the tomatoes break down.
- Remove from heat and stir in the beans, spinach and basil.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and olive oil.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is browned and the tomatoes bubble.
- Enjoy hot or at room-temperature!
Strawberry Banana Parfait with Banana Bread Croutons
- 2 banana bread slices, cut into cubes (try using our new vegan banana loaf)
- 7-10 strawberries, sliced
- ⅓ cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- ½ banana, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Toast the banana bread cubes until crispy, about 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Pour a small amount of yogurt into the bottom of a glass, layer in a few strawberries and banana slices and then top with a few croutons. Add more yogurt and repeat.
Eat well, be well
Emma Minden, Registered Dietitian, Wholesome GO