Happy Earth Day! Earth Day has long been a day of global action for the environment and so this week I am providing some energy saving baked good recipes that give you all the sweets and none of the oven heat. These recipes are easy to whip together and are naturally free of egg. No bake baking is just one small thing you can do to help protect the planet and reduce your energy footprint.
Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- Toppings: fruit, granola, yogurt (optional)
- In a medium sized bowl combine the milk, chia seeds, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Cover the mixture and chill in the fridge.
- Let sit overnight or for at least 4 hours, depending on your preferred thickness.
- Add your toppings of choice and enjoy!
No Bake Chocolate Fruit Pizza
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 10 Medjool dates
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp orange juice
- ¼ tsp orange zest
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup strawberries
- 1 kiwi
- 1 clementine
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup blackberries
- In a food processor, combine the oats, coconut, dates, coconut oil, cocoa powder and vanilla until mixture comes together to form a sticky dough.
- Press the dough evenly into a springform pan and allow to set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl mix together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into the pizza base and spread evenly.
- Decorate with your fruit toppings of choice and enjoy!
No Bake Cookie Dough Bars
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sunflower seed butter
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cup + ¼ dark chocolate chips, divided
- Grease and line a square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, blend the chickpeas, sunflower butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, oats, coconut and salt until smooth.
- Stir in ½ cup of chocolate chips.
- Firmly press the mixture into the pan and freeze for 20 minutes.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the remaining chocolate and heat in increments of 30 seconds, stirring frequently until melted.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the melted chocolate on top, spreading evenly.
- Freeze for another 20 minutes.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Eat well, be well
Emma Minden, Registered Dietitian, Wholesome GO