Summer in the fall, who would have thought? This week’s weather has been bright, sunny and warm with temperatures reaching 20°C. What better way is there to celebrate this untypically warm weather then with some cool treats?! Here are some of my favourite healthy, homemade frozen desserts. The base for all the recipes is Greek yogurt, making it also suitable as a healthy, sweet snack packed with protein. If cold snacks aren’t your thing, we’ve got you covered! Try our new Plain and/or Vanilla Greek Yogurt Parfaits – great for breakfast on the go or for a morning/afternoon snack.
Homemade Creamy Frozen Greek Yogurt
- 4 cups frozen fruit
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp honey
- In a food processor or blender combine all the ingredients and mix until creamy (about 5 minutes).
- Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
Frozen Yogurt Bark
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup any toppings (I like to use berries and chocolate chips)
- Mix the Greek yogurt and maple syrup and spread onto a lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle with toppings.
- Freeze for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Break it up into pieces and enjoy!
Colourful Frozen Yogurt Bites
- 4 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 cup strawberries or raspberries (for pink)
- 1 cup blackberries or blueberries (for purple)
- 1 cup peaches or mango (for yellow)
- 1 cup kiwi (for green)
- In a food processor or blender, mix 1 cup of yogurt with 1 cup of fruit based on the colour that you want.
- Once blended, scoop the mixture into a mold or ice cube tray.
- Repeat the same process for additional colours and flavours.
- Freeze until ready to eat and enjoy!
Eat well, be well
Emma Minden, Registered Dietitian, Wholesome GO