Happy Easter to all those who celebrate! I’m sure the Easter Bunny left you lots of chocolates and sweets. I’ve included some of my favourite simple ways to use up leftover Easter chocolates. Looking for more fun? Try our Springtime Gourmet Cupcake Kit, which includes 6 locally crafted, nut-free cupcakes, 3 piping bags filled with perfectly sweet buttercream, naturally flavoured and coloured with strawberry, lemon and vanilla icing, and a container of handmade meringue embellishments for decorating. It also includes a Spring themed scavenger hunt and activity card – perfect for a weekend activity, April “March” Break and any virtual get-togethers this Spring!
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup leftover chocolate, chopped
- 24 pieces of chocolate eggs, jellybeans or your favourite candy
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Evenly spread the shredded coconut onto the baking sheet. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until toasted and lightly golden in colour (watch carefully as this happens quickly) and then let cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate and heat in increments of 30 seconds, stirring frequently until melted.
- Add the cooled coconut to the melted chocolate and stir to combine.
- Place 2-3 Tbsp of your mixture onto a piece of parchment paper and shape into a nest, pressing down the centre to create a slight indent.
- Top each nest with your desired candies.
- Allow to set in the fridge and enjoy!
Easter Candy Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups leftover chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the chocolate and stir until evenly distributed.
- Drop 1 rounded Tbsp of cookie dough onto the baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Easter Bunny Trail Mix
- 2 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup cereal of choice
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup leftover chocolate
- 1 tbsp sprinkles
- 3 oz white chocolate, chopped (milk or dark can also be used if preferred)
- In a large bowl add the popcorn, cereal, pretzels, mini marshmallows, leftover chocolate, and sprinkles and stir to combine.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the white chocolate and heat in increments of 30 seconds, stirring frequently until melted.
- Combine the melted chocolate with the candy mixture.
- Place ¼ cup of mixture on a lined baking sheet, repeating until all the mixture is used.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened, about 1 hour.
Eat well, be well
Emma Minden, Registered Dietitian, Wholesome GO